Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rough Theater

Wow, what a reading! I loved this reading so much, I read it to my girlfriend, a theater major. I completely agree with this article. Art, as in theater or anything else, gains a certain something when it is presented as is, without attempting to shield the viewers from flaws. In fact, we will go with them. That has been one of my biggest complaints about digital technology, and a reason why I shoot and edit on film, is because digital is just too clean. It seems unreal. Assymetry, mistakes, all lend themselves to art. Art is about imperfection, and complexities. Our daily lives are not perfect. When we try to make everything in theater perfect, we sense a sterility to it. For theater to encompass so many forms, it is interesting that we try to imitate only one or two. Imitation is all it is. Therefore, we as an audience aren't engaged. When we see things that are rough, as in rough theater, we feel they are more real. This article coincides with me recently cutting 16mm film and projecting it on a wall in my room. I felt more alive. I suppose the roughness felt like my art was alive. The scratches and splice marks added to my film, they didn't detract. We should all learn to make art in anyway that we can, and not try to imitate just to get an "Accepted" look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment